[LINK] iRiver woes

Alastair Rankine arsptr at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 10 15:00:05 AEST 2007

> machine it is. But the rub is that it ONLY works under
> Windows. I expected that, like other devices including her
> iPod, or other daughter's iRiver device, it'd simply be
> recognised as a USB disk. Not so. No dice. It seems to
> recognise it as a camera, and then falls over when I try
> to look inside it.

I had a similar problem with my Nokia N70 phone; couldn't
mount the storage.

Turns out that USB devices can only belong to a single
"class". In other words they can be *either* a camera *or* a
mass storage device, but not both. Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass_storage_device_class

The wikipedia article above mentions a workaround (nasty
hack IMHO) where the device presents as a USB hub device
with a camera and mass storage device (and whatever else)
permanently attached.