Linux on LaptopsRe: [LINK] (no subject)

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Apr 24 10:12:46 AEST 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:27:42AM +1000, Pilcher, Fred wrote:
> An update:
>
> I downloaded Feisty last night and did a complete reinstallation. I
> think the word I'm looking for is "miraculous".
>
> The TV tuner works (far, far, far better than it does under Vista),

yep, in my experience, DVB-T cards work extremely well in linux. i use
mine (a DVICO fusion PCI card) with VDR. lots of people seem to like
MythTV too.

> The bluetooth mouse is detected, though it doesn't work as
> a mouse - there must be something simple that'll fix that if only I
> knew what it was. ;-)

have you checked the ubuntu bug report system?  e.g. a google search for
"+linux +feisty +bluetooth +mouse" came up with several pages, including this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bluez-utils/+bug/32415

reading that indicates you might need to edit /etc/default/bluez-utils
and set "HIDD_ENABLED=1" - HID is "Human Interface Device", or
keyboards, mice, etc.

if that doesn't work, it also refers to a Ubuntu Bluetooth setup page at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothSetup

google also came up with a review of FF, which mentions the following about
bluetooth:

    'Bluetooth would not work at all here if you don't run "hcitool hci0
reset" before loading the service, '

http://osnews.com/story.php/17505/

> The inbuilt webcam is detected but seems to need
> drivers.

one way to find out what drivers are needed is to run lsusb or usbview
(assuming it's a USB webcam, that is) and look for the device name,
manufacturer, and model.  then enter those details into a google search,
appending "+linux +ubuntu" to the search string.

if your webcam is supported, you will almost certainly get someone,
somewhere talking about it. tech documentation and support for linux is
very easy to find with google.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

quit   When the quit statement is read, the  bc  processor
       is  terminated, regardless of where the quit state-
       ment is found.  For example, "if  (0  ==  1)  quit"
       will cause bc to terminate.
		-- seen in the manpage for "bc". Note the "if" statement's logic