[LINK] Thanks .. and two new email client releases.

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Apr 24 23:38:31 AEST 2007

Hi all,

First, thanks to the *many* folk who replied, both on-list and off-list,
regarding many quite disgraceful issues experienced with the new laptop.
(and yes, you are quite right Roger, I should /. the matter poste haste)

So far, Lenovo have sent three emails, from different manager-type people,
who certainly do appear to be treating these issues as important. As the
machine, for business reasons, must run MYOB & Excell (so I can continue
to pay employees, and maintain their tax and super records) and also run
Windows to log the till/cash-drawer system) to avoid problems (haha) one
needs to stay with Windows if possible. Otherwise I'd be running unix in
a second. (The Lilo dual-boot (Win/Linux) from 1998 still never misses a
beat). However, I will keep the lists informed regarding Lenovo progress.

 On another topic, the Mozilla open-source people have just released
Version Two of "Thunderbird" which is their rather nice email program.

And, even better news imho is that "Eudora", a great email client, (though
Win/Mac only) will also be open-source and free after April 30th. (ie, in
7 days) It was one of the first DOS programs, and still one of the best
if you ask me. (Only hope they keep developing it when it's open-source).

Here's what Eudora say: <http://www.eudora.com/> "Eudora® email moves to
open source development and delivers final commercial version -- Eudora
7.1 for Windows and 6.2.4 for Mac OSX. The open source version of Eudora®
will be free of charge."

And, here's what Mozilla say <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

"MOUNTAIN VIEW, CALIF. – April 19, 2007 – Mozilla Thunderbird™ 2, the
latest version of the popular, free and open source email client, is
available worldwide today. Thunderbird 2 allows users to easily manage
and organize email with tags, advanced folder views, and fast inbox and
message searches. Users can also customize Thunderbird 2 with add-ons
that match individual preferences."

"Thunderbird 2 has powerful new features and proven security, delivering
an improved email experience to users worldwide," said Scott MacGregor,
lead engineer for Thunderbird. "In Thunderbird 2, we incorporated the
proven benefits of tagging to email. Tagging initially gained popularity
on blogs, photo and link-sharing sites as an intuitive way to organize
online information so users could easily find desired content."

Thunderbird 2 users can choose from hundreds of add-ons to customize the
application for their needs. By integrating professional networking
tools, VOIP calling, and shared address books directly into Thunderbird,
users can expand the email client into a versatile information and
communications hub.

Thunderbird 2 is built using the same open source development model as
the award-winning Mozilla Firefox Web browser. This development process
incorporates feedback directly from users and the talents of Mozilla’s
community of open source contributors to deliver a powerful, free and
modern email application.

Thunderbird 2 is available now as a free download for Windows, Mac and
Linux, in more than 30 language versions at www.getthunderbird.com
--

Cheers all ..
Stephen Loosley