[LINK] The Next Ten Years

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Aug 8 09:33:31 AEST 2007

On 08/08/2007, at 8:52 AM, George Bray wrote:

>> Again, Tom was on the money.
>
> High praise Tom.  But what's going to happen in the *next* ten years?
>
> Will we still have belligerent monopolist limiting our IT progress?

Of course - that's the way that our society works.

> Will we all have wristwatch iPhones?

If so, it'll be the reincarnation of wristwatches - something that is
rapidly zooming out of fashion with young 'uns (and some oldies,
too). However, the wrist is about the best place to dangle things,
though the ear might be better for listening and talking (and no-one
wants to walk/ride/drive with one hand against an ear).

> How far will the national WiMax network reach?

In ten years, there might be a handful of oldies using this
technology. But the aforementioned monopolists will get in the way.
One thing is for sure - it won't be ubiquitous, if previous history
is anything to go by.

> Will web standards ever evolve to the point where we Linkers have
> nothing to complain about?

Having read that the top-ten most popular blogs in the world don't
conform to web standards, I see no change here. We'll still have
something to whinge about.

> Will a national microband network evolve on the old copper network to
> distribute 12v services to all Australians?

Old tech again. We'll all have photo-voltaics (sliver cell
technology, or similar) on our roof, and will be self-sufficient in
the 12v department, at least - possibly even pumping power back into
the grid, if aforementioned monopolists don't get in the way.

> Will we watch live TV, or just download the shows that interest us?

Do people *still* watch TV? I'm amazed.

iT