[LINK] Link Nomination

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Thu Aug 9 08:01:24 AEST 2007

"Rick Welykochy" <rick at praxis.com.au> and the rest of the tired old fogeys
wrote things along the lines of:
> It is a well-executed waste of electrons that used 100% of my CPU and
> heaps of bandwidth. Flash is a total abomination. If that ad was
> implemented as an MPEG it would have used about 1/100 the CPU and bandwidth
> resources. The interactivity provided by the ad was useless and stupid:
> [snip]
> The people that put so much effort into this crap are a waste of
> oxygen.

Ah, so much energy wasted on such a trivial issue...!

Yes, some enthusiastic kiddie-creative at an ad agency convinced the client
that their "wonderful idea" for a web advert should be made. And you don't
like it.

Diddums.

Sure, the ad's a bunch of self-indulgent shit. Were you ever likely to buy
an Audi anyway? No. So who cares what you think?

Railing against the "misuse" of Flash etc... it's hardly the most important
issue facing the planet, or even the most important issue facing the topics
that Link is about. I won't bother listing them, but there's plenty of FAR
more important issues which deserve the energy and intelligent attention of
Linkers. Especially in an election year.

But then, Link is only populated with tired old luddites which think that
anything more than ASCII text is "inefficient" and that no-one should be
allowed to use more technology than their own clapped-out 486 and whatever
low-bandwidth link they can persuade Telstra (or the PMG, as they know it)
to run to their shotgun shack in some godforsaken beyond-rural hellhole.

Killjoys.

> "It's not rocket surgery" ?

It's quote from Kath & Kim. Folks in the target market would get it.

Happy Thursday, love your work, Rick. :)

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia