[LINK] Re: The Next Ten Years

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Fri Aug 10 09:14:20 AEST 2007

On 10/08/2007, at 8:20 AM, Brendan Scott wrote:

> Glen Turner wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 08:55 +1000, Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>> I suppose my question is -- why do you think there will still be
>> an office as we know it today?  With better communications
>> technologies and higher travel expenses and time why won't those
>> how can do work from home.

Another consideration is reducing CO2 output, and infrastructure
costs to support our desire to travel to the office every day - a
relatively new concept since the beginning of the industrial revolution.

>> We've already seen the move by a lot of workers to establish a
>> second office at home. I'm suggesting that this will become the
>> primary office for a lot of people.
>
> Without saying that won't happen, there is the issue of the need of
> most people for social interaction, so I am not convinced about this.

Robust bandwidth can solve a lot of the office communication
problems, but it's by no means perfect. I work in a team who often
leave communication channels open (we work in four or five different
locations) so that 'office noise' can permeate the background, but
nothing beats a face-to-face interaction.

The open channel usually consists of leaving cameras with microphones
on and rolling (and requires good bandwidth to do so).

It's not just for gossip and 'water-cooler' conversations, either,
but often the impromptu conversations that shape business direction,
or identify issues of concern. Even overhearing someone else's phone
conversations in passing can help to resolve problems, or identify
new business opportunities.

Casual, impromptu, extemporaneous, and even serendipitous business
(not just social) interaction is as important and often ignored - and
tele-commuting does not easily resolve those issues.

That aside, I'm working from my comfy armchair today, and endeavour
to minimise my carbon footprint by not travelling to work at least
25% of the time. I know of many others who do the same, and are (not
surprisingly) part of a network of people who communicate via their
laptop - with built-in camera, skype, chat, e-mail, voice mail, SMS
and even regular mobile phone calls (I make and answer mobile calls
through my laptop's microphone and speakers).

Indeed, my 'office' has shrunk to the point of being the metal and
plastic box that sits on my lap.

iT