[LINK] a little light diversion

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Aug 11 16:42:09 AEST 2007

At 5:52 +0000 11/8/07, stephen at melbpc.org.au posted:
>Stop complaining and shut the door!
>By Frank Hayes on Fri, 08/10/2007 - 2:54pm
><http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/6013>
>I understand why the security people are unhappy with the WSJ for
>publishing this piece. ... [but] they're dead wrong ...

I'm not in the least unhappy that the WSJ published information that
divulges insecurities.  What I'm complaining about (as I suspect are
many of "the security people") is that the article is written with
such naivete, failing to show appreciation of the insecurities.  It
instructs in available dodges, without conveying anywhere near enough
about the risks involved.

(It didn't help that it adopted a tone befitting a secondary school
newsletter - 'Ways to cheat your teachers and parents').

>And I'm really appalled to think that serious security professionals
>believe what the WSJ published was a bunch of deep, dark secrets to
>corporate users.

I haven't read what he has, but I'd be astonished if "serious
security professionals" pretended, let alone believed, that these
were "deep, dark secrets".

But I guess Hayes needs something to blog about.

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong