[LINK] a little light diversion

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Sat Aug 11 16:53:33 AEST 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 05:52:06AM +0000, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> Stop complaining and shut the door!
> By Frank Hayes on Fri, 08/10/2007 - 2:54pm
> <http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/6013>
> [...]
> It's not too late to dig up the Monday, July 30, issue of the paper.
> Photocopy the article. Take it to your boss, and recite the following
> speech:
>
> "We must now assume that every user can do these things.
>
> "I need your sponsorship and the budget and resources necessary to close
> these 10 security holes in our systems.
>
> "And I need them now, because users have had this article for two weeks."

and if any IT person took that article to upper management and made that
request, the most likely response would be "wow, thanks for the pointer.
i've always wondered how i could do that".

a lot of security holes in corporate firewalls are there because some
ignorant high-level manager wants to do something stupid, has absolutely
no interest in being taught a better/more secure way of achieving
the same goal, and has the authority to order IT staff to ignore
best-practice and do it anyway.

(and yes, those 10 "secret tips" are lame and old news...it's still bad
that the WSJ is encouraging such abysmal security breaches)

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>