[LINK] web information architecture - what are the issues you see?

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Wed Aug 15 12:49:29 AEST 2007

I'm knee deep in organising a conference for web information architecture
(shameless plug below ;-) and am interested in hearing from people outside
my immediate industry circle of contacts as to what you think are some of
the big issues we should be thinking about.

Sure, there are lots of issues with web design practice in general. Lots of
people don't like all the flashy graphics and stuff. What I'm really hoping
for, by asking the Link Institute constituency, are insights that go deeper
than just the surface presentation issues, that ask difficult questions
about the very structure of how we organise all the many pages of a website.

Historically, we've been primarily concerned with making information on a
given website easy to find, aligning the structure, navigation, and content
labels with the expectations and cognitive models of the primary and
secondary audiences. But then there is all this blather about "Web 2.0"
being social environments, about designing for the group rather than the
individual, about making the content we put out there amenable to
repurposing in mashups and such ... and so for the sake of the now, lets say
I'm defining 'web information architecture' as the practice of "structuring
information for purpose" ... what might some of those other "purposes" be?

Well ... what are your thoughts?

e.

The shameless plug:

    Oz-IA/2007
    A Conference for Information Architecture
    Sydney, September 22nd/23rd, 2007

    Come hear leaders from the IA industry share their insights,
    come to network with your peers of practice. It's on the weekend
    immediately prior to the Web Directions conference and expo, so
    why not come and totally geek out?

    http://www.oz-ia.org/2007