[LINK] Churning broadband from Telstra?

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Aug 29 14:19:28 AEST 2007

On 29/08/2007, at 1:56 PM, Brenda Aynsley wrote:

> Karl Auer wrote:
>
>> If you change ISP by "churning" (which is generally the cheapest
>> way to
>> do it), make sure, when the move is complete, that your old ISP has
>> closed your account and is no longer charging you.
>
> I thought churning simply meant that it was a live broadband
> connection ready to be swapped to a new isp.  I didnt think the new
> ISP had any responsibility, nor authority, to cancel your account
> with the former isp.

They usually work together on these things: my understanding when I
churned and asked for an explanation of what is done and when is that
the new ISP lets the old ISP know when the churn has taken place, so
that a refund of any fees paid can be returned to the customer.

When you ask for a churn to take place between consenting ISPs (and
they both must consent to the process - a list of who presently
accepts rapid transfer is here <http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-
list.cfm?type=fc>), you effectively grant authority to both ISPs to
arrange the transfer and account cancellation.

Rapid transfers (churns) normally take 5 days, and a churn
application is made by the new ISP usually 7 days before the end of
your billing month, to reduce costs.

It is worth noting here that the receiving ISP will be charged for
the DSLAM reconnection, and the losing ISP will also be charged if
the customers connection did not remain connected for a six-month
period. These charges are usually passed on to the customer through a
'churn fee' and an 'early termination fee'.

iT