[LINK] Internet in the developing world & OLPC

David Goldstein wavey_one at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 22:42:47 AEDT 2007

The debate about the OLPC is an interest one. There's no point giving computers, to a large extent, if there's no infrastructure, such as the case in much/most of Africa. But in examples in Latin America where one country at least has put in a huge order for these computers it might well be different.

On priorities, The Guardian recently asked Vint Cerf to be the guest editor of MediaGuardian. One of the articles I've put a link to on my website:

Internet in the developing world by Steven Huter and Adiel Akplogan
The first full internet connection to the African continent was established in Tunisia in October 1991. Over the next 15 years, the transition from store-and-forward email networks to full internet connectivity in capital cities all over Africa progressed steadily, with Eritrea being the last to join the global internet in November 2000.
http://technewsreview.com.au/article.php?article=3379

A response given on an internet governance mailing list from Africa said the article sums up the situation very well.

OLPC is just one tool, but there are other tools, and education for all, one of the UN's Millenium Goals, is much more important.

Cheers
David

      Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now. www.yahoo7.com.au/worldsbestemail