[LINK] NetAlert Campaign 'truth' finally coming out

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Sat Dec 15 16:59:29 AEDT 2007

On 15/12/2007, at 12:33 PM, Stilgherrian wrote:

>> I'm sure that you're just about to cite your reference for where the
>> ex-government said anything that looked even remotely like that? Or
>> are you
>> just putting words in their mouth?
>
> My point is that the government doesn't *have* to say it explicitly
> like
> that. The chains of word-association already in our minds make the
> link for
> us. That's how "good" (as in "well-crafted") propaganda works.

I can heartily recommend reading the recent tome, 'Word Watching:
field notes from an amateur philologist', by Julian Burnside (QC and
refugee advocate), for a view of how the government uses language in
its propaganda wars with the public. One small example of related
comment: <http://www.users.bigpond.com/burnside/HRights.htm>

Skip over the pedantic parts of the book if you tire of this (I
don't), but concentrate when you get to the chapter on detention
centres and compulsory detention - it might cause you to rethink your
views on refugees and their status in Australian society.

I believe that the previous government was a master of the art of
propaganda, and it reminds us all that Big Brother is here now.

iT