[LINK] NetAlert Campaign 'truth' finally coming out

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sat Dec 15 18:14:16 AEDT 2007

Ivan Trundle wrote:

> I can heartily recommend reading the recent tome, 'Word Watching: field
> notes from an amateur philologist', by Julian Burnside (QC and refugee
> advocate), for a view of how the government uses language in its
> propaganda wars with the public. One small example of related comment:
> <http://www.users.bigpond.com/burnside/HRights.htm>
>
> Skip over the pedantic parts of the book if you tire of this (I don't),
> but concentrate when you get to the chapter on detention centres and
> compulsory detention - it might cause you to rethink your views on
> refugees and their status in Australian society.

I found the section on Australian Amnesty International's comments quite
revealing in the context of what Mr Phillip Ruddock said only a few
paragraphs before. It makes a mockery of his claim to be a member of
said organisation (or should I say a hypocrisy).

> I believe that the previous government was a master of the art of
> propaganda, and it reminds us all that Big Brother is here now.

Ruddock's wearing of the AI pin is a perfect example.

I believe it was Burnside who gave a lecture years ago on ABC Radio National
about this very topic. It opened my eyes to the blatant injustices of
mandatory detention and helped clarify my thoughts on the Howard
regime. I even began contemplating migrating.

cheers
rickw