[LINK] RFI: [PGP Global Directory] Verify Your Key

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Dec 18 08:51:50 AEDT 2007

Is anyone aware of any scams surrounding the PGP.com Directory?

I've used PGP in the past, but not recently.  Overnight, I've
received a request for confirmation of an entry despite not having
submitted a key for storage there.

I'm trying to think through how a fraud or significant nuisance could
be committed by registering a key in someone else's name.

It would seem to mean that the person who generated the private key
would be in a position to masquerade as me, not just by falsifying
the From: field, but also by signing the email, and having the PGP
Directory report the signature as being valid.

To be convincing, the fraudster would need to create a 'web of
(dis?!)trust' by having a few people confirm that the key is
associated with me.  But most message-recipients aren't going to
understand such subtleties.

Any thoughts or leads much appreciated.

For the moment I've neither confirmed nor denied the entry.

The message received and the contents of relevant web-pages are
below.  (I've of course deleted the unique parts of the confirmation
transaction, in order to make it difficult for anyone else to confirm
it).