[LINK] Fwd: VIP-L: E/voting in Victorian election, not so secret

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Dec 18 11:00:30 AEDT 2007

Forwarded with permission.

[[You are more than welcome to share it, including my name and the e/mail I
sent, as I am happy to demonstrate it to people.  I think the argument here
is that vision impaired people as a population demographic can be easily
identified with the current reporting format.
Regards,
Steve]]

>Hi LIst members,
>I did an interesting experiment last saturday.  I looked up the Victorian
>Electoral Commision site for the last state election.  Then like party
>scrutaneres would, I went into the electorate I was in then, and went into
>votes by polling place.
>When I got to the list, I saw E/vision australia Kooyong, and noted only 1
>vote for my electorate.  It was mine, as that was where I voted.  The vote
>was also for the party I voted for.  I know party scrutaneres and
>researchers go into detail, and it would be quite easy for them to work out
>who voted for who party in that curcumstance.  Where there is more than one
>vote however, it would be posible for them to work out how the vision
>impaired people voted in their electorates.
>It will beinteresting to see how the fedral elections are reported.
>Steve

>the system manager.
>
>This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept
>by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.
>For further information contact www.clearswift.com
>
>Contact details:
>City of Boroondara
>8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell, Victoria, Australia 3124
>Telephone: 03 9278 4444
>Facsimile:    03 9278 4466
>Website:   www.boroondara.vic.gov.au
>Email:  boroondara at boroondara.vic.gov.au

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Living, like writing, requires no wisdom. Only revising does. - Jim
Sollisch, Sept, 2007
'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005