[LINK] Fwd: Being a Spy Technology Creator

Daniel Rose drose at nla.gov.au
Mon Dec 31 09:16:24 AEDT 2007

Jan Whitaker wrote:

>> http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006869o-2000515484b,00.htm
>>
>> Being a Spy Technology Creator
>> It's quite hard being a CEO of a giant tech company. Especially if you
>> don't want anyone to know you exist.
>> Hi, I'm David Pigmaleon, I am CEO (chief executive officer) of
>> Pigmaleon Software Corporation Limited. We make spy software.
>> Worried about your phone being tapped? Worried that your computer is
>> telling us what you're typing on facebook? if not, you should be,
>> we're very good.
>> We don't make software for the highest bidder, instead we make it for
>> governments and agencies who vow to keep our name secret, because
>> after all they are better at that than anyone in the tech industry.
>> Take Apple for example, the most secret of tech companies, but all
>> their technology is leaked in various forms before it is launched, if
>> we had such leaks, we wouldn't be in business.
>> So we get assistance from the best in the business, who keep our stuff
>> secret, safe and secure. Nobody knows, nobody cares, that's what we
>> like, and we'd like to keep it that way.
>> Of course, I myself am quite wealthy from my business, I go to
>> parties, I meet pretty ladies. What do I tell them? I am an
>> entrepreneur. I own oil, or something. They don't particularly like
>> the oil business per say, but it's a good compromise between evil
>> technology company and public hero, that way women just forget about
>> what they think I do, and care only about the money. They wont ask
>> questions.
>> Hopefully.
>> You might think that my company, which by the way boasts over 10,000
>> employees, is the type of one that creates the spyware that you find
>> occupying and slowing down your computer. Well, our stuff is a little
>> better than that. For example, if you were to employ a spyware
>> detection programme, such as AdAware, on any system we have infected,
>> you would find 0 results. That's right, zero, nada, nothing. Our stuff
>> is so light, it wont slow down your computer, it loads at boot time
>> and you'd never find it.
>> Believe it or not, it's the same technology that prevented Y2K from
>> ever happening.
>> I'd love to tell you more, but alas, it's not what I'm here to do, and
>> I'd be dead if I tried.
>> Until next time. If there is a next time.

Some blogger has quasi-paranoid delusions.  Probably a teenager, given the focus on "pretty ladies".

Failures include:

 - The y2k reference
 - The idea that Apple is "the most secret tech company"
 - The lack of an explanation for writing the piece in the first place
 - Having 10,000 super-top-secret-hushhush employees, who will never ever tell anyone about this amazing software
 - The melodramatic reference to being killed for telling us more