[LINK] Vista is Expensive

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Feb 1 18:42:08 AEDT 2007

At 09:08 AM 28/01/2007, Roger Clarke wrote:
>... Cost Analysis of Windows Vista ...

My laptop broke on Wednesday so I was doing the rounds of computer
stores looking for another. The staff were busy shovelling dozens of
new Vista equipped computers onto the shelves. I had to keep saying
"no, I don't particularly want Vista", "no I don't want dual core".
When I asked for a small, low power unit for a little email, I was
offered a 17 inch laptop, big enough to use as a desk, let alone as a
desktop computer replacement.

One small shop was fending off calls from customers anxiously wanting
to know when the could get Vista. The store was recommending
customers not rush into it, but the customers didn't seem to be
listening. They sold me a $30 box which I transferred the hard disk
from my laptop into. This can be plugged into borrowed computers
using USB, until I find a modest unit to buy.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml