[LINK] Scientists offered cash to dispute climate study

Stewart Fist stewart_fist at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 7 12:05:00 AEDT 2007

>> At first sight urine looks like an unlikely environmental menace.
>> What harm could come from flushing away a fluid that is mostly
>> water, plus a smidge of proteins and salts? Surprisingly, the
>> answer is "a lot".

In England (and probably Europe and America) in the 1500-1750 era, one of
the more profitable lurks that the personal servants fought over was the
right to empty the bed pans, and so be able to collect and sell the stuff.

There was big business because urine was needed to treat cloth, to produce
alum (in the UK only), and to generate saltpetre for gunpowder.

Common practice in my youth was to dilute it and put it on the citrus trees.

Now days people turn up their noses at these practices, then go out to buy
Urea lawn food.

--
Stewart Fist, writer, journalist, film-maker
70 Middle Harbour Road, LINDFIELD, 2070, NSW, Australia