[LINK] The true cost of bottled water

Stewart Fist stewart_fist at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 8 11:31:21 AEDT 2007

>> sydney water isn't much better (way too much chlorine). dunno about other
>> cities.

It can't have enough chlorine for me: until my teeth go green, anyway.

I've had Guardia a couple of times in my life, and I can live without
another dose.  The last from India took years to get rid of because the
parasite seems to have become totally resistant to the then-current drugs.
I only got rid of it when a new one came on the market.

When the boil-the-water scare was running hot in Sydney a few years ago, the
authorities still maintained the fiction that the risk was low.  But I knew
of two people who had serious problems with the runs at that time, so
extrapolating from that, one could assume that 100,000 or more must have got
infected with either Cryptosporidium or Guardia.

I know that's a grandmother survey, but I've never seen the release of
actual figures.  And I don't know if I'd trust them anyway.

--
Stewart Fist, writer, journalist, film-maker
70 Middle Harbour Road, LINDFIELD, 2070, NSW, Australia