[LINK] QANTAS moving IT staff to India. Any ACS response??

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Sat Feb 10 11:16:47 AEDT 2007

Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> Adam Todd wrote:
>
>> At 05:51 PM 9/02/2007, steve jenkin wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know if the ACS has a response to QANTAS talking about moving
>>> ~350 IT jobs to India??
>>>
>>> I saw this article and was amazed at a couple of paras.  Seems like a
>>> predictable stuff-up wasn't avoided or the downside contained by
>>> management - so now Australian jobs have to go.  Who'd have thunk?!
>>>
>>> ======
>>>
>>> "TAKEOVER target Qantas has logged a $20 million increase in computer
>>> and communications spending as it battles rising costs in a troubled,
>>> $200 million enterprise software project."
>>>
>>> "The carrier attributed the cost blow out in part to increased
>>> expenditure on IT projects related to its $200 million eQ business
>>> software replacement program." [From $239.9M to $259.1M for YE 31/12/06]
>>

>> What do you expect!  Aussie IT people, most of them anyway, aren't
>> real IT people.  They are "Drag and Droppers" and the result is, the
>> best IT people aren't working in the country (or for the ocuntry) any
>> more.
>

> In this particular case it wasn't the fault of the IT people. Qantas
> made a business decision to purchase Oracle software for HR and Finance.
> and implement with minimum customisation.
>
> The HR system was implemented OK, although there was more customisation
> than expected.
>
> When it came to the financial system, the Qantas finance management had
> changed and did not agree with the minimum customisation decision. So
> the IT people were forced to make major changes to a system that was
> supposed to be "off the shelf". It is a classic case of changing
> business requirements and then blaming IT for not delivering.
>
> Qantas would not accept the new development timetable and so threw out
> the IT developers. They've been making a mess of eQ ever since, but it's
> not an IT problem, its a business led disaster.

My take on this second round of outsourcing (offshoring) and the
Internet is that it is more to do with sourcing managed information
systems such as call centres, hr and finance information systems than
sofware development. Only Eight years later than I thought see  Service
Delivery over the Internet <http://www.ramin.com.au/marg/services.html>

The question is what will be the role for Australian Based ICT workers
what ICT/Business skills will Australian Organisations need. Ofcourse
there is nothing stopping Australian businesses becoming the Ofshorers.

I am guessing some of this might be to do with the offshoring of QANTAS
itself. Financial laws differ between countries. Australia companies
need to meet ASIC and ASX regulations. US listed companies need to
comply with Sarbanes Oxley and their accounting standards. UK has
different requirements again.  I think we will see something similar
with Telstra.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz