[LINK] why calm, rational thought is required....

Stewart Fist stewart_fist at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 14 16:49:24 AEDT 2007

Howard writes:

> My understanding was that it was at the start of the decline and was to
> divert attention and to stem the unrest amongst the populace.

It was right though the BC 100 to AD 100 period of Julius Caesar to Nero,
and it was probably mainly giving the Roman citizens something to do other
than play politics, because their empire was so wealthy, with so many
slaves, that the citizens needed entertainment.  it wasn't discontent so
much as idleness that was the problem.

The decline came after about 300 AD following Constantine's acceptance of
Arian christianity (orignally) as the state religion. Then their problems
began with the Germanic Arian tribes who had taken over as mercenaries and
ran the Roman Army. Then there was a later decline after the Italian church
and the popes (with their RC brand) took back control.

Evan made a good point.

--
Stewart Fist, writer, journalist, film-maker
70 Middle Harbour Road, LINDFIELD, 2070, NSW, Australia