using resources in communal settings [was:Re: [LINK] Here's one that will snag a few]

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Wed Feb 21 13:35:07 AEDT 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> At 12:27 PM 21/02/2007, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>> The rain water tanks are a little farcical. Because they will run dry in
>> a drought and the water they collect should really have been absorbed
>> into the ground.
>
> Not really. The water would go into the storm drains and out to the sea. It
> collects off the roof in the same guttering that would send it to the storm
> drain, but diverts to the tank instead.
>
> But the comment about empty tanks is true. A local mentioned that he took his
> taps apart to see what was plugging up his watering system before he figured
> out the tank was dry!

In various places in Spain (the Mediterranean has a similar climate to our own),
they have huge "cisternos" which trap all the runoff that would otherwise
be wasted.

I have always considered Australia to have a Middle Eastern or Mediterranean
climate but it would seem we do not appreciate water in the same way
as those regions.

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html