[LINK] Centrelink get it right - almost

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Thu Feb 22 05:00:44 AEDT 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 06:33:34PM +1100, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> I was visiting the Centrelink site and looked at their browser
> requirements -  not bad, but their last paragraph appears to be in
> conflict with their initial requirement for IE:

Presumably they mean "the newest version available to your operating
system".  IE 7.0 is the most recent version for Windows XP and Vista,
however IE no longer available or supported for Apple OS X.  Microsoft
now recommend OS X users browse the web with Apple's Safari (whose code
is partly based on the open source Konqueror browser, interestingly
enough).  Microsoft Windows 2000 users are unable to upgrade to IE 7.

On the other hand, the paragraph may just be a simple oversight on
Centerlink's part.

Of course, it's not like stick-in-the-mud Internet Explorer users are
particularly likely to ever read the site's browser requirements...

> Browser Requirements:
>
> To use our Online Services, you will need one of the following internet
> browsers:
>
>     * Internet Explorer, Version 4.0 or later
>     * Netscape, Version 6.0 or later
>     * Firefox, Version 1.0 or later
>     * Opera, Version 7.54 or later, or
>     * Mozilla, Version 1.6 or later.
>
> These browsers have been tested and confirmed to work with our Online
> Services. Other browsers may work, but have not been tested and are not
> supported.
>
> If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer to access our Online
> Services, please ensure that you have the latest version (including all
> security and other updates). If you are experiencing problems accessing
> your information, go to advice for Internet Explorer users.
>

> http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/online_services/browser.htm

Regards
Andrew