[LINK] Telematic communication devices

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Feb 26 10:01:50 AEDT 2007

At 11:37 AM 22/02/2007, Martin Collett wrote:
>... I am seeking a Telematic device that can simultaneously transmit
>voice and data over the Telstra Next G service. ...

Discussion at the Whirlpool forum "Simultaneous Voice and Data calls
NEXTG?" suggests an upgrade to NextG has now made simultaneous voice
and data possible
<http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/681885.html>.
While I have not looked at the details of the phone interface I
assume it is no more difficult than for 2.5G GSM/GPRS phones.

Even if the phone can transmit voice and data at the same time you
might find it more convenient to use VoIP for vertical applications,
using the data channel to carry the voice as well. Units such as the
Nokia E61 support VoiP in the handset, or you could do it in the
connected computer.

Keep in mind that if you use a smart phone you may not need to attach
a computer at all and can do the application in the handset, or use a
web interface <http://www.tomw.net.au/2006/wd/smartphone.shtml>.

Students at ANU are working on software for the NEO1973 Linux phone
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/01/open-source-smartphone.html>. A
team of Software Engineering students is working on a software
platform for the "Open Source Phone Software"
<http://cs.anu.edu.au/student/comp4500/projects.html>. It is only a
2.5G unit, but should do much the same things as the 3G handsets
(apart from speed).

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml