[LINK] Pandora?

Sandra Henderson SHENDERS at nla.gov.au
Wed Jan 3 10:28:06 AEDT 2007

Michael
PANDORA doesn't ignore sites hosted outside Australia, and doesn't
ignore Australian sites which aren't in the .au domain.  There are
examples of both in PANDORA.  PANDORA is a labour-intensive operation,
which is why its impossible to capture ALL Australian sites - all files
are checked for completeness and functionality, to ensure the harvest
has been accurate. This level of hand-crafting is not possible on a much
larger scale. PANDORA is consistently lauded by the web archiving
community for its high standards and achievements.
Conscious of the very selective nature of the PANDORA Archive, the NLA
also contracted the Internet Archive to undertake two comprehensive
harvests of Australian sites.  These harvests, done in 2005 and 2006,
are not available to the public - the copyright situation, for example,
is tricky, which is why PANDORA files are only made available with
permission of the publishers. The files from the two web harvests are
installed here at the NLA - the last one resulted in over 19 terabytes
of data, from 1.2 million sites (over 500 million files), and the
Internet Archive has also prepared a full text index - this index across
the two years of files was the largest the Internet Archive has ever
undertaken.  It does mean we do have, for the future, two large
snapshots of the Australian web (and I understand the lists of seed URLS
we provided also ensure we get relevant non .au sites)

Sandra Henderson
Manager, Research, Coordination Support Branch
National Library of Australia
CANBERRA  ACT 2600
Phone: +61 2 6262 1481
Fax: +61 2 6273 2545