[LINK] Vista Casts A Pall On PC Gaming

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Jan 10 11:40:06 AEDT 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>
>> IMHO your conclusion is correct but not your assessment of Windows.
>> We should acknowledge the contribution
>

> "contribution" - do you mean as in viruses, spam, etc...?

Howard is right. Microsoft has contributed zero in the advancement of
computing science and IT innovation. They have actually set the bar and
expectations of how computers should perform so low that their software can
be considered "toy". If you do the research you will find that practically
anything of usefullness that Microsoft sells has been either ripped off
(Lotus 1-2-3 ==> Excel), adapted (GUI as but one example) or assimilated
Borg-style (Mosaic ==> IE).

Need some concrete examples of their failure to innovate? Microsoft was
on the web way later than many other technology companies, around 1996 IIRC.
Their TCP/IP stack had to be imported from BSD. Their IIS web server came
arrived way after Apache. Their browser came in years after Netscape had
established firm market position. IE introduced "tabbed browsing" just a few
months ago, years after Mozilla and Safari.

The only thing Microsoft has really contributed to is the reinforcement
of the notion that combines and anti-trust legislation is a toothless
tiger and the real message in our capitalist system is to rape, pillage
and plunder as many markets and competitors to "win the game". And don't even
get me started on the Dr-DOS fiasco.

Cynic, moi?

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Does Bush check the Rapture Index daily, as Reagan did his stars?
We don't know, but would anyone be surprised?
      -- Richard Dawkins