[LINK] Vista Casts A Pall On PC Gaming

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Jan 10 11:34:12 AEDT 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>
>> Howard Lowndes wrote:
>>

>>> Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
<snip>
>>> "contribution" - do you mean as in viruses, spam, etc...?
>>

>> viruses/spam came much later
>

> not very much later.  IIRC, the stoned virus was about 1984.
>
> ....I was referring to the contribution to
>
>> "end user" computing - usability/word processing/spreadsheets in
>> particular.
>

> think visicalc and wordstar - well before M$ came on the scene.

vaguely recall wordstar and visicalc....but was involved in heated
debates about the benefits of WordPerfect and amipro.

However, as an integrated easy to use, and probably price wise, package
MSWin/Office won the day. The other aspect was networking, integrating
PCs/Macs/Vax pre-web was a challenge.  TCP/IP and the Internet were
floating around too - remember the debate between Ethernet and TOKEN RING?

Not to mention x.400...

Oh the good old days! These young people today, don't know how good they
have it.

--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au/