[LINK] 50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Fri Jan 12 15:45:51 AEDT 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:

> <hfl>
> Perhaps this will add fuel to the fire that has been burning happily on
> this list for the past few days.
> </hfl>
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1825713.htm
>
> British research suggests that up to 50 per cent of business managers
> could have psychopathic or similar tendencies.

Here's a suggestion relevant to the IT industry (it may apply to other
industry, I can't comment"

When someone becomes a manager (it may happen earlier but it often
happens then) they lose touch with the skills and expertise of the
people they are managing.

This means that they are operating in a world where they don't
adequately understand the details of what's happening. Or to put it
another way, they lose touch with reality.

	http://www.healthsquare.com/mc/fgmc2415.htm
	Paranoid Schizophrenia

	Schizophrenia -one of the most damaging of all mental disorders-
	causes its victims to lose touch with reality.

The number of projects I have worked on where the people in charge have
no idea of the reality of the system being developed, yet make crucial,
fundamental, project killing decisions is still growing.

I find it most frustrating, but I don't think it is resulting in a
mental disease. Although I could be wrong - my disease might manifest
itself in repeatedly working in such environments hoping that the next
time it will be different.

--

Regards
brd