[LINK] PayPal to combat phishing with key fobs

Alan L Tyree alan at austlii.edu.au
Sun Jan 14 13:31:43 AEDT 2007

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:07:13 +1100
Rick Welykochy <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote:

> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070112-8608.html
>
> "In an effort to protect users from fraud and phishing schemes,
>   eBay subsidiary PayPal is preparing to offer secure key fobs.
>   The devices, which display a six-digit code that changes every
>   30 seconds, will be made available free to all PayPal business
>   users, and will cost $5 for all personal PayPal account users.
>   Those who opt in on the key fob will have to enter the six-digit
>   code when logging in to PayPal."
>
> Some food for thought for banks.
>
> The weakness in the PayPal idea is that the fob is opt-in. The very
> people most likely to fall victim to phishing scams are likely not
> to opt-in ... or is that a cynical syllogism?

Rick,
What other technical methods might be used to prevent (or at least
curtail) phishing? Is there some sort of challenge/response approach
using software supplied by the Banks or other targets? I need to look
at some positive suggestions for this EFT Code review.

Alan

> cheers
> rickw
>

> --

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 427 486 206
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662