[LINK] RFI: Dublin Core 10 Years On

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jan 19 23:42:53 AEDT 2007

At 01:10 PM 18/01/2007, Linda Rouse wrote:
>>Are there convenient mechanisms to support authors to quickly
>>generate metadata for their documents just before they release them?
><SNIP>
>Some of the better CMS and DAM systems have prefillers for metadata
>and templates for on-the-fly metadata creation with say, a dropdown
>to select a specific subject etc.

There were some early tools developed by DSTC back in the late
90s/early 00s. I'll toot a horn for a project that I worked on
(design, operational processes, and on-going maintenance) from 1998
until January 2006, Agrigate, one of the longest running subject
gateways until Melbourne Uni pulled the plug. We modeled the data
structures on DC plus a few local fields for record management.
Sadly, the link doesn't appear to be active at all any longer
(www.agrigate.edu.au). I have no idea what happened to the >600
records that were written for evaluated agriculture information from
around the world as well as Australia. It's one of those that if
people had sense should have been captured in one of the archives.
But for some reason (personnel changes) I doubt it. It used to be
linked into the ARROW project, but that and the University of
Melbourne are nowhere to be found.

One of the things that was/is terrific about DC was the way it
allowed repository exchange. If you have the same data structures in
general, you have a fighting chance of distributed searching and
record merging for information sources with value added descriptions.
It was never perfect, but it was much better than trying to migrate
between proprietary systems. Data life and application is more than
creation for better return on the investment if that is going to be
measured by use, for example.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005