[LINK] Stolen Laptop [was Re: Consumer computer security]

Eleanor Lister eleanor at pacific.net.au
Fri Jan 26 20:59:19 AEDT 2007

Rick Welykochy wrote:
> Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>
>> I have had a laptop stolen...which makes me a bit wary of storing
>> anything on one. I would also be reticent to use a public computer or
>> even one in a workplace - but then as I said, I don't use Internet or
>> Telephone banking.
>
> How secure do Linkers feel about toting a laptop around with
> sensitive/personal data on the hard drive?
>
> Personally, I ensure I encrypt the directories that need protecting,
> i.e. my home directory, using AES encryption.
>
> Being a Windows agnostic these days, I do not know if this capability
> is available on Win/XP. It is trivial to do on Max OS X, and quite
> easy using Linux or other *nixes.
>
> One option on Win/XP would be to ensure all data is read/written
> from/to an encrypted memory stick, which BTW also uses AES.
>
> cheers
> rickw

my solution is to secure shell login to my server from wherever my
laptop is, and my password is not stored on hardware or firmware, but
remembered in wetware.

handy to keep email on my server up to date, any items i need locally i
can forward to my laptop, or sftp for big items.

very useful at conferences.  and i never keep anything important on the
laptop.

regards,
    EK

Eleanor Ashley Lister