[LINK] Vista: Why you shouldn't upgrade yet

Malcolm Miles mgm-ns at tardis.net
Mon Jan 29 23:33:50 AEDT 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:05:21 +1100, you wrote:

>I've just posted an article on my business website explaining why small
>businesses shouldn't rush out to upgrade to Vista. Comments appreciated --
>especially if I've got something wrong or been too harsh.
>
>    http://prussia.net/tips/upgrade_vista_not_yet/

"Microsoft’s new Windows Vista is available in Australia from midnight
tonight. Should you upgrade your business? No, not yet."

Vista has been available to businesses since the end of November last
year. Tomorrow is the retail release.

"If you run into a problem, it’ll take longer to fix (and be more
expensive!) because your computer support people won’t have as much
experience to draw upon"

Many computer support people would have been working with Vista for
over a year as part of the beta program.

"Are your computers fast enough run Vista effectively, or will you
need to upgrade"

Most corporates roll over their PCs every 3 years or so. Most PCs
purchased in the last 3 years will run Vista.

"Is all of your current hardware and software compatible, or will that
need to be upgraded too? Are Vista versions of your key software even
available yet"

Most business applications would be compatible with Vista. Even my old
DOS apps from the late 80s run.

"Does Vista actually add any must-have tools for your business? Then
why are you wasting your time and money? "

The biggest benefit is that at last you can easily run a Windows
operating system without giving your users administrator rights. In
itself, this will significantly reduce support costs.

--
Best wishes,
Malcolm