[LINK] Re: Federal government web ads

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Jul 3 16:06:40 AEST 2007

At 03:01 PM 2/07/2007, Stewart Carter wrote:
>... Tomw recently pointed out that Australian government agencies
>seem to be spending a lot more at Google Adwords these days. ...

I don't know what the ads actually cost, just that agencies were
buying more of them.

I suspect it is minimal compared to TV advertising and far more
effective. But I wonder if agencies formatted their web pages
properly, made them readable and interesting, then they would get
free hits, instead of having to pay for them.

>Its becoming incredibly expensive. Last week the minimum bid to get
>an ad activated for the keyword Facebook at google.com.au was $6.50
>per click. ...

My understanding is that Google uses an auction based system. If a
web site is popular, then you will have to pay more to advertise on
it. This seems fair: if someone is willing to pay $6.50, then that is
what the product is worth.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml