[LINK] the Apple iPhone rort

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jul 12 10:59:48 AEST 2007

Ahh, David, you forget the really big main points.

1) Do not criticise Apple. Any criticism is always swimming upstream

2) Cool toys are concrete; consumer choice is an abstract. The concrete
is always more important, to most people, than the abstract, until the
day the abstract disappears completely. Then they'll start complaining.
Try starting a discussion about cargo cult technology - that is "will
you trade an intangible for a new toy?" sales strategies - and count how
many people actually care.

Now; a response to Kim:

 >I don't understand why you are singling out the iPhone for this
criticism. It seems more open than many phones.

Without wanting to light a fuse, I consider this somewhat non-sequitur,
for the following reasons:

a) Regardless of whether the hardware can be considered "more open than
a Nokia", David was (and I am) suspicious of a sales and service model
which says "you may not choose your carrier". That's not intrinsic to
the hardware.
b) Saying "iPhone is bad but Nokia/Ericsson/whatever is worse" doesn't
address the criticism of the iPhone.

It took some time for Australians to get mobile number portability,
which isn't the same as complete device freedom anyhow but at least a
start ... but to say "to hell with that I want the iPhone NOW!" ... a
person may as well have "sucker" tattooed on their forehead.

RC