[LINK] Event: danah boyd in AU

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:46:52 AEST 2007

Hi folks

This event is upcoming. It won't be in Adelaide(drat!) but will be in
Brisbane and Melbourne.
(I am currently working with educationAU)

I think danah's perspectives are really interesting for education
policy because they look at
the internet as a social space. She talks about the skills that
students are developing as a process of participating online and the
challenges around understanding how these existing social practices
relate to our ways of using the internet in educational organisations.

The ways that students participate online at home is based around the
people and activities they are interested in. This contrasts with
contexts where access and interaction are controlled. Students are
functioning online at home in complex trades and communities,
for example a high school student in Adelaide is one of the wikipedia
bureaucrats.
(One of around 12 people world wide)

At school organisational risk defines the space and the possible
interactions. This has a cost in terms of how rich the education space
is in comparison to the home environment as well as how much learning
and what kinds of learning about online participation can be achieved.

danah explores both the risks and the opportunities around these challenges.
danah did an interview with the Knowledge Tree
http://kt.flexiblelearning.net.au/tkt2007/?page_id=28
and there is a podcast here
http://blogs.educationau.edu.au/seminar/

Janet
=====

Generation MySpace - Social networking and its impact on students and education
http://educationau.edu.au/jahia/Jahia/pid/479

Where
* August 6 - Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre
* August 8 - Melbourne RACV Club, 17th Floor 501 Bourke Street Melbourne.
When 9:30am - 4.00 pm
Cost Registration $300 AUD (inc GST)
Group bookings of 10 receive a complimentary registration.
Contact Julie Cook for further information - jcook at educationau.edu.au