[LINK] Sensis media adserving

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Mon Jul 23 23:11:13 AEST 2007

At 08:40 PM 23/07/2007, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
Zapper just sends back a text or graphic "This Ad is zapped" and that's it :)

>>It has reduced hanging from bad javascript or even sites that try
>>and push JAVA ads to me.  Done.  I don't see them :)
>>
>Adam,
>
>A fix isn't a diagnosis. Yes, zapping ads and JS by any means will
>stop the ads and the JS; but what is it about Sensis that if it
>cannot load its ad to the target page, then the page itself won't load?

Who cares!  Do you really want to spend time diagnosing a $24 billion
a year companies web site and tell them how to fix it for free?  Pfft!

Let the pages crash, let the users go to places where the ads don't
appear, and let the users complain about the sites.

That way, hopefully, this kind of assault on users will be reduced,
rather than increased.

>Alas, I feel I have touched on a subject which is very low on the
>G.A.S. meter for most people, but there's method in my madness here.
>People - say, IT Wire, Fairfax (since at the moment Domain.com.au is
>stopping dead with the same part-loaded symptoms) and others have
>Websites which are stalled on the behaviour of a third-party site,
>and have absolutely no idea that they're blocking some users.

They have lots of idea.  They will see that hits to the site's pages
are lower than expected.  They will have log files that will be
filling with the message that the user aborted the connection before
the page was fully sent.

They know.

If they don't, they are more inept than expected!  I watch my web
server error logs for hundreds of virtual servers 24 x 7.  If I see
an error I want to know why.

Fairfax monitors it's logs, or at least has some means of monitoring
for faults.

>Well, it may be considered that I should ignore the problems of
>someone else's site: but some of the "victim" sites are places  that
>I actually want to view.

Then ring them and tell them they need to stop using external web
sites.  If they say "But we need the ad money" tell them you'll go elsewhere.