[LINK] Sensis media adserving

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jul 23 20:40:07 AEST 2007

Adam Todd wrote:
> At 08:03 AM 23/07/2007, you wrote:
>> Linkers,
>>
>> I have mentioned before that I increasingly encounter sites that end
>> up hung during loading, while they wait for distant ad servers that
>> have nothing at all to do with the content I'm trying to view. I
>> think it must be a combination of factors including the iiNet
>> connection (because some sites that are flaky at home are okay at the
>> office, on the same machine).
>
> Richard I have Zapper installed on my proxy server and specifically
> have an ACL to prevent anything from sensis or telstra being requested
> through my servers.
>
> Zapper just sends back a text or graphic "This Ad is zapped" and
> that's it :)
>
> It has reduced hanging from bad javascript or even sites that try and
> push JAVA ads to me.  Done.  I don't see them :)

Adam,

A fix isn't a diagnosis. Yes, zapping ads and JS by any means will stop
the ads and the JS; but what is it about Sensis that if it cannot load
its ad to the target page, then the page itself won't load?

Alas, I feel I have touched on a subject which is very low on the G.A.S.
meter for most people, but there's method in my madness here. People -
say, IT Wire, Fairfax (since at the moment Domain.com.au is stopping
dead with the same part-loaded symptoms) and others have Websites which
are stalled on the behaviour of a third-party site, and have absolutely
no idea that they're blocking some users.

Well, it may be considered that I should ignore the problems of someone
else's site: but some of the "victim" sites are places  that I actually
want to view.

Cheers,
RC