[LINK] Re: FW: Democrats PR - Government forced to change access card website

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Fri Jun 1 09:20:15 AEST 2007

Brent, I've copied my reply to your posting on
the privacy list to a wider audience, including
people who are much closer to government
information/publication requirements than I have been recently.

There is a problem with what is being said by the
Minister (see press release below). When I read
the Hansard about the confusion with the
implications on the Technology webpage of the
Access ID Card website:
http://www.accesscard.gov.au/technology.html, I
captured the page that was up on 28 May. The caption on that date has:

Based on Tried and Tested Smartcard Technology

Is that the heading that was supposedly changed?
I compared it to what is there today, 1 June. It's the same.

The problem I have with what is going on is
something that the Minister is obviously unaware
of. Each webpage that is published by the
government is supposed (required?) to have an
embedded date in the invisible information
associated with that page. It is called Metadata
and is used to conform with the Australian Government Locator Service:
http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/gov_online/agls/logo.html

(from the page, they appear to be asserting that
they are complying, but they aren't:
  "schema.AGLS"
href="http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/gov_online/agls/1.2" ).

Both the page that was up on 28 May and the one
there today, 1 June, say that the Valid Date for this page is:

So the page is misleading that historically this
page and its content has been consistent since 8
November last year assuming that the caption
heading has changed as the Minister has said it would be.

This may seem a simple and silly problem. But in
reality, it's not. This date can mislead the
person accessing this page that its content has
been consistent starting much earlier. It's like
reading a book edition that was originally
published in 1965, but the new edition was
changed in 2005 and the information is no longer
the same as was presented in the first edition,
but no Edition or change of publication date is displayed.

One wonders how many other pages in this and
other government information systems are
misleading in this regard, rewriting history as a result.

In my opinion, changing the heading also doesn't
solve the problem raised. The page is STILL
misleading given that the images hold the most
prevalent position on the page, the biometric
explanation is the opener, NOT the point about
the international use of a different type of
'smartcard' implementation. They are probably not
intending this misleading result, but it is there just the same.

Regards,
Jan

"
>(p116, Finance and Public Administration Committee Estimates Hansard).
>

>"Given the reintroduction of the revised Access
>Card legislation is only a matter of weeks away,
>it is important that the Australian public is
>well informed and not misinformed about what may
>be the single biggest privacy invasion in our
>history," Senator Stott Despoja said.
>

>Media contact: Raina Hunter – 0417 085 260

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing
the silver for guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step.
Without the seed, there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005