[LINK] after the DNCR

Fred Pilcher fpilcher at netspeed.com.au
Tue Jun 5 17:59:20 AEST 2007

I wrote:

> I fired off an e-mail to ING and got a nice reply yesterday (which I should have posted to Link - and will when I get home) to the effect that ING doesn't do this kind of thing. It said that they'd been getting a lot of complaints about it - apparently it's some mob called IMG.

Message from ING follows. I believe them.

I spoke to another Linker who's also been contacted by IMG (or whatever
it is). Being smarter than me he realised that both of us should have
feigned interest until we had enough information to identify the local
mob who are paying this call centre to spam us.

If any Linker gets a call offering a free mortgage comparison ("we're
not trying to sell you anything") from someone who sounds like IMG
Sydney, please play along until you get something useful.

* * *

Dear Mr Pilcher

Thank you for contacting ING Australia

We wish to advise that ING Australia (and all companies under the ING
umbrella) strictly adheres to the Do Not Call Register since it has been
implemented by the Australian Government.

We also confirm that we do not have any overseas call centres - only
Australian based call centres.

We would like to advise that we are aware of a company called IMB (or
who may sometimes even use ING) that operates similar to email spammers
- except that they do this via the telephone.

This company appears to operate from overseas and we have had ING
customers notify us of this company as when they state their company
name it can sound like 'ING' and not 'IMB' and our customers have
advised they are extremely aggressive in their approach.

As such, we can understand your frustration and would again like to
convey that ING will not contact you for telemarketing calls whilst you
have completed the 'Do not call Register' and sympathise for the
negative experience you have received.

Sincere regards,

etc