[LINK] E-mail question

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Sat Jun 9 11:06:25 AEST 2007

On 09/06/2007, at 10:41 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> When I get a URL split over two lines, I click the edit button and
> remove the line break. it works then. I know that isn't addressing
> your point about the <> strategy. I think it does work. Where it
> gets changed is when a distributor like Yahoogroups narrows the
> line length to less than the unwrapped screen width upon which the
> message was created.

I probably should have explained myself better, and in any event, my
e-ail client doesn't hard wrap or break text, so I'm only guessing
the outcome.

What I'm looking for is a fail-safe option to publish 80-plus
character URLs in plain text e-mails.

We're having some healthy debate about the best strategy, but I'm not
interested in the 'right' approach - only one that works without the
recipient having to either edit or retype. The problem that we are
experiencing in my workplace at the moment is that some mail client
software splits long URLs, and IGNORES the wrapped component,
resulting in unfollowable links.

We are receiving (a few) complaints from recipients who use a wide
variety of mail clients, from web-based to OS-based. It's not always
easy to ask them what they were using when it failed, either.

I'm merely trying to resolve this easily and simply (and no, offering
TinyURL et al is *not* a solution, alas) - I had thought that the <
and > worked, and if I could find validation of this, I could
bludgeon a recalcitrant programmer with this information.

iT
--
Ivan Trundle
http://itrundle.com ivan at itrundle.com
ph: +61 (0)418 244 259 fx: +61 (0)2 6286 8742
skype: callto://ivanovitchk