[LINK] Telstra ultimatum on fibre

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jun 12 07:18:41 AEST 2007

Picking off some bits and pieces of this discussion...

Chris Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 10:58:57AM +1000, Stewart Fist wrote:
>
>> I think your friend is right about being able to share the use of dark
>> fibres with no real problems (although spare fibres are there for a reason
>> generally), but the nodes are different
>>
>> They require racks, cards, electronics and electricity.
>>

> That was my understanding too - but apparently these devices are now not
> much bigger than a paperback novel. Presumbably the main reason for the
> dark glass is that it costs almost nothing to install extra and it may
> be useful for later expansion - but my understanding is that the usable
> bandwidth per fibre keeps getting better so the need for additional fibres
> to meet growth in demand diminishes.

There are a few varieties of mini-DSLAM, and yes, "paperback novel" is
about the size.  Internode was using them - perhaps still is - to
install in street nodes.

I certainly don't see why you couldn't use wavelengths as the means to
share fibre... of course, you would also need a WDM unit at the node,
but that doesn't seem impossible.

Electricity is also available at the nodes, if the equipment is able to
use 48V dc. I wonder how much power consumption at node level is
feasible and efficient?
>> The casual remark that "node boxes could be made a little bigger" begs the
>> question as to who would want to make them bigger, and who would pay for
>> them to be made bigger.
>>

> Those words were my addition - the report I heard was that there is room
> within the proposed Telstra nodes for additional mux cards. But these things
> would be made/supplied in sufficient quantity to allow minor specification
> changes for little or no cost - much less than the cost of a duplicate FTTN
> network.
>

>> And when something went wrong, who would be responsible for fixing the
>> problem.  Would each carrier have his own power supply, power feed, rack,
>> etc. Would each system of electronics be entirely isolated from the others?
>>

> Good question. How does it work in existing exchanges?

Power comes from Telstra now; move it out to the node, and power would
still have to come from Telstra.

RC