[LINK] Telstra ultimatum on fibre

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Jun 12 08:49:25 AEST 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:
> On a slightly different twist to this theme, I had a DSL connection with
> Peopletelecom for about 4 years.  I lost it when PT stuffed up a
> transfer from one of my land lines to the other and they failed to
> ensure that the second line was enabled before they disabled the first.
> They told me that it could be months, even up to a year, before ports
> would become available in the exchange.
>
> I went to the local Telstra office and signed up for a BP account.
> Nothing happened for 2 weeks so I checked with BP and they said that
> another DSL provider had an outstanding provisioning order on my phone
> number.  I rang PT and told them to cancel the provisioning order.  They
> said that if they couldn't provision a service because there were no
> available ports then no other provider was able to provision the
> service.   Within 5 days the service was activated, albeit with a faulty
> mux port in the exchange which the Telstra tech fixed.
>
> So yes, Telstra are holding out on access availability...

Not sure what they are upto, but there have been Telstra technicians
beavering away in Annandale (for those not familiar with Sydney this is
about 5 km from CBD - residential development circa 1870) Streets in
recent weeks. Note, we have TVcable burried in our verges, despite my
protests to Telstra and Council, and ADSL was not available a few years
back. I-Burst is very reliable here.