[LINK] Demo of photosynth

Saliya Wimalaratne saliya at hinet.net.au
Tue Jun 12 23:00:12 AEST 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 01:55:18AM +1000, Stephen Edgar wrote:
> On June 2007 10:20 PM, Adam Todd wrote:
> The BBC is collaborating with Microsoft Live Labs Photosynth to create three- dimensional representations of some of the most dramatic buildings in Britain by combining hundreds of different photographs. This is an exciting 'research and development' project which gives users an insight into future photo sharing possibilities. Most of these locations are featured in the new BBC series 'How We Built Britain' which explores Britain's past through its buildings and the lives lived in and around them.

FWIW; I didn't think that the representation was 3D.

While being 'very interesting', the impression I took from the demonstration
was that the construction was of two-dimensional views - and that selecting
another viewpoint simply brought forward another view.

This is a little different to constructing depth from stereoscopic or
even multiple flat 2D images (which is, by the way, being done - but
mainly in the mining industry)

Regards,

Saliya