[LINK] ASX Announcements: Online DVD Rental, and Fibre Encryptor

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jun 15 20:32:38 AEST 2007

1. (WOW) Woolworths to launch online DVD rental service with Quickflix

(14-Jun-2007)  Woolworths is set to become the first major retailer to
enter the growing online movie rental market by joining forces with
leading online DVD rental service Quickflix. Woolworths’ Big W division
will launch a dedicated website within weeks that will allow its customer
to rent their favourite films and TV series.

2. Senetas Developing Fibre Channel Encryptor
<http://news.iguana2.com/ainvestor/ASX/SEN/277516>

(15-JUN-2007)  Senetas Corporation Limited (ASX:SEN) a leader in high
speed network encryption technologies that secure information during
transmission today announced it has commenced development of a Fibre
Channel encryptor to also secure storage area networks (SANs).

The Fibre Channel encryptor, part of Senetas’ Cyphernet Encryption
Security Platform, will secure data from 1 Gbps up to 10 Gbps and is
designed to encrypt information flowing to and from Storage Area Networks
(SANs), now often transmitted “in the clear” across metropolitan area
networks (MANs).

Senetas CEO John DuBois, said the decision to develop Fibre Channel
encryption was in direct response to customer interest in Europe, United
States and Australia.

“With the proliferation of SANs and other shared storage devices, often
widely distributed across an enterprise and with remote access over
public IP networks, there has been a critical change in business risk.

Because corporate data is often no longer physically secured in one
location, we are moving to address this risk. Businesses are looking to
secure this new fast fibre channel technology which has replaced existing
SCSI interfaces between servers and storage devices.

“Given our acknowledged market lead in high speed network encryption,
this is a natural product extension for Senetas and we are exploring the
different interfaces available under fibre channel – optical fibre to
secure campus-wide devices spread as far as 10 km and the more typical
high-rise office storage environment which can be secured through
Ethernet and twisted pair,” Mr DuBois said.

He said SANs were typically not encrypted, unless specific data-at-rest
or database encryption had been deployed. “We believe that while there
are existing opportunities for Senetas to supply both
data-at-rest and database encryption solutions, the significant new
opportunity is to quickly bring to market robust commercial grade Fibre
Channel encryption to assure enterprises and government businesses that
the vast volumes of information required by law to be stored securely can
be safely moved and accessed over many decades.

“While most organisations will require classic encryption applied to
Fibre Channel, which we expect to go into customer testing in December
this year, we are able to offer Gigabit Hybrid Quantum Encryption and we
expect to offer a Fibre Channel Quantum solution during 2008,” Mr DuBois
said.
--

Note: Usual disclaimer .. nil association with either company

Cheers all ..
Stephen Loosley
Victoria, Australia