[LINK] The PLAN, and broadband speeds?

Daniel Rose drose at nla.gov.au
Thu Jun 21 10:40:29 AEST 2007

David Lochrin wrote:

>>>    Couldn't agree more - sad isn't it?
>> What is government for?
>>
>> Where do we make policy and national interest if government isn't?
>
>    Both very good questions.  However I think we can farewell the idea of rational government for and by the people for the time being.  The political right unreservedly considers itself "the party of business" and the political centre-left is too afraid of rocking the economic boat.
>
>    Why does the electorate generally allow such stupendous incompetence or outright lying and manipulation?

	.... undereducation.  As I've said before, the answer lies in the schools; teach them all about great abuses of power in democracies past, and about their obligations in society and the voting will be more carefully thought out.

	I am convinced that most voters vote in their own perceived self-interest, and not in the interests of their peers (comrades?) or of the nation.  It's usually three different candidates that would be elected, based on the criteria voters use.