[LINK] The PLAN, and broadband speeds?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Jun 22 23:58:55 AEST 2007

Rick Welykochy wrote:
> Jan Whitaker wrote:
>
>> [oh gawd, LJH has just come on local ABC about his 'I'll be God' and
>> fix the poor Aborigines program]
>
> At the risk of straying way off topic, I heard the same interview.
> Made me sick. The same reports that triggered Howard's latest
> pavlovian knee-jerk reaction have been submitted to the gummints
> (Feds and NT) for the past 15 years with no action taken of any
> substance.
>
> Now Howard slams down his draconian fix-it plan in a self-evident
> grab for votes. How on earth is banning alcohol and porn going to
> change the culture of a marginalised and racially segregated
> aboriginal society? I don't suppose non-aborigines will be banned
> from purchasing these things. No, we deal with white child abuse
> by whites in a different manner. Don't we?
>

> no so cheery
> rickw

Rick, I had a similar response, and hopefully, found a way to bring
it back on topic...

Howard Lowndes wrote:
<snip>
> You just end up with a situation where the people who make the most
important decisions that affect the population  are totally unanswerable
to that population.
<snip>
Seems to be happening to the Aboriginal population on multiple
occassions....funny how shortly after there was a problem with mining on
Aboriginal land in the NT, the Territory overroad the local custodians
by creating new laws.

and are now happy with the federal government's response. Wonder what
kind of Internet, Education and Health Services have and will be
provided in these communities.

It seems Peter Garret spoke on this on 19 June...
<http://www.petergarrett.com.au/c.asp?id=192>

Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au
Phone: 0414 869202