[LINK] Re: Skype and cheap access [was: Link Digest, Vol 175, Issue 49

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Sat Jun 23 13:12:00 AEST 2007

At 12:00 PM 23/06/2007, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>At 11:23 AM 23/06/2007, Stewart Fist wrote:
>>People often want to limit communications -- they don't always want more.
>
>Pretty soon everyone will be screening calls with an answer machine.
>
>I had a weird one yesterday. Got home, message on machine. It's a
>woman who says her name is Leanne, mentions me by name, asks me to
>ring back and cite a reference number.

Usually a debt collector :)

>I ring back, ask who I'm calling. mumbled reply. [ah, I'm thinking,
>a way around the DNCR].
>woman: were you given a reference number?
>me: yes
>woman: what is it?
>me: who are you?
>mumbled reply, national mercantile something, then a repeated
>mention of being a court-something agency (sounds official), for
>privacy reasons can't say

No such thing as privacy, they have an obligation :)  There isn't
privacy protection form them anyway :)

National Mercnatile is a debt collector.

>me: what do you want?
>woman: cite the reference number and I'll tell you
>me: begrudgingly gives number
>woman: Christine?
>me: no, that's not my name
>woman: are you on xxx street?
>me: yes
>woman: ### on street?
>me: no
>woman: who are you
>[I'm losing it, voice going deeper]
>me: what is this about? You called me!
>woman: can't say, court something something, for privacy reasons
>can't say [I'm not making this up]
>me: well unless you can tell me, I won't say anything else
>woman: ah, I see what this is about, let me pass you to Sharon
>[wait]
>Sharon: this is Sharon, how may I help you?
>me: are you kidding? your company called me, I've been transferred
>to you, this is a joke, right?
>Sharon: do you have a reference number?
>me: <sigh> I gave that to the other woman...
>[other woman in background]
>Sharon: are you Christine?
>me: I've already said no, what is this about
>Sharon: well, I can't tell you because you aren't Christine
>me: why did you call me then?
>Sharon: do you know the xxxs?
>me: yes [thinking: ah, that Christine]
>sharon: we're trying to contact Christine xxxx.
>me: so why did you call me? I'm on the Do Not Call register, why are
>you calling me?
>Sharon: white pages, you must be there
>me: I want to complain about your ringing me
>sharon: but you're in teh white pages, what is this do not call thing?

They are a debt collector :)  They found your number because your
friend Christine gave your name, or address, as a point of
contact.  Probably your name as a reference for something like a 48
month interest free buy from a retail store.

>me: what does that have to do with anything?
>sharon: we're trying to reach Christine, do you know how?
>me: well, for privacy reasons, I can't say. As I do not appreciate
>you, a stranger, calling me for this and asking for information
>about someone else!

I hate to tell you Jan, unless you have a $3 million a year turn
over, or you are a government agency or subcontractor, you can't cite
privacy :)  The privacy Act doesn't afford you that right :)

However, they have a greater than $3 million turn over and are
required to give you ALL information upon confirmation that the
initiation of the communications is verified, which they have :)

They are on contravention of the Privacy Act if they don't tell you
all the details.

>sharon: blah blah....
>me: sound of phone hanging up
>
>so, do I have any reason to complain? This was like a bad dream.

About a Debt Collector?  You can try.  It usually ends up with your
name and details being married on their database for future reference though.

I don't respond to debt collectors, I have no debts :)

Sadly a lot of people use me as a reference and I do get calls from
time to time.

Also when filling in forms and you are requested to put down you
nearest living relative, ask why.  The usually answer is "in case of
an emergency" but this isn't right.  What kind of emergency could there be?

And if your nearest living relative is your executor, they'll contact
the party in due course!

NEVER put third party contact details on applications as references
or connections.  The databasing that goes on with buying and selling,
mergers and so on is incredible and with the laws relating to debt
collection so open wide, it's really scary for the average Joe.

Someone else's BAD DEBT could prevent you from trade.