[LINK] Re: Link Digest, Vol 175, Issue 49

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Sat Jun 23 13:02:35 AEST 2007

At 11:23 AM 23/06/2007, Stewart Fist wrote:
>Karl replies to me
> >
> >> When people know you have a videophone, then questions arise if you don't
> >> use it.
> >
> > That's a pretty weak point, Stewart.
> >
> > Everybody knows that there are times you wish not to be seen.

Ok come on guys.  If my wife was naked, and standing in front of a
video phone I can't think of too many people who wouldn't want to see!

>Again, that's not the point Karl.
>
>It takes years for protocols to be worked out in a community, and with
>videophones the key protocol is "is it to be turned on, or left off?"

Actually I hate videophones.  They serve no purpose at all.  Ok sure
it's nice to see the friends kids on the 3G video phone at Christmas
running around, but to bring too much video into ones home that is
sent outside to all and sundry has it's issues.

(This from someone who ran 16 internal cameras live on the for 8
years!  Now we just have 32 external cameras!)

And really, do you think Telemarketers and Government Agencies are
going to put their faces on a Video phone so you can ensure that they
are accountable in the court room?  I think not.

There is enough issue with putting a recorded voice call into a court
proceeding, yet along actually using video evidence and proof.

>I would suggest that this is the main source of resistance to video-phones.

Mine is I don't see a point.

Besides the fact that we don't have the network infrastructure and
most people are going mobile anyway.

Mobile video calls are charged so most people don't use them.

>I have a similar problem with Skype.  In the days when it cost real money to
>ring internationally, I use to get a phone call from one distant relative in
>Europe about once a year.  Now he has Skype and his calls are essentially
>free, so calls from him are ten times as long and are currently coming in at
>a rate of once a week.

(rofl)

Strangely enough, since Skype, I've had LESS email and more turn
around from international contacts than in previous years.

My email level has gone down, hence a saving in time.  Skype calls
are about the same as ordinary phone calls, some tend to be a bit
longer, but more seems to be put into action in a shorter period of time.

>I wish I could get a Skype-blocking facility on my phone line.

On your Skype phone?  Or on the telco phone?

>Instead, I have to resort to the: "Someone is at my front door, I have to
>go!" routine, which would be even worse if he could see me lying through my
>teeth.

I screen my calls :)

>People often want to limit communications -- they don't always want more.

More from one, more from ten, more from 100 :)