[LINK] Theft, copyright, larceny... (was: In other news....)

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Tue Jun 26 18:37:25 AEST 2007

At 09:10 AM 26/06/2007, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>Brendan Scott wrote:
>
>>So while the statement: "whether committed with a gun or a
>>keyboard, theft is theft." is  true, it would not appear to be of
>>any application where someone is involved in copyright infringement.
>

>Compare these two cases of theft by keyboard:
>
>CASE I: Sally downloads a copy of Sleeping Beauty on to her computer.
>
>In CASE I, no-one was deprived of their property. And it would be ludicrous
>in a court to affirm that Sally *would have paid* X amount of dollars
>for the video if she had not downloaded it. On the contrary, it would be
>far easier to prove or at least statistically indicate that Sally *would
>not have paid* any dollars for it. But no theft has occurred.

Guys this is the problem.  No, not what between you both you have
mastered in a few words that are clear.

The problem is the "Industry" is touting and calling it THEFT so that
people gain a guilt conscious and so that in the longer term, in a
court room you can accuse a person of THEFT when there is no legal,
moral or common basis for the claim.

Gawd, these spin doctors do it all the time.

The more you say it, the more it becomes truth - Truthiness.