[LINK] [UK] Call for e-voting to be scrapped amid security fears

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jun 27 14:34:39 AEST 2007

Lea de Groot wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:56:14 +1000, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>
>> I wonder what problem e-voting systems are attempting to solve?
>>

> I'm going to be totally non-cynical and say that we have trained our
> pollies too well that computerising a system = a good thing.
> We've taught them that a well implemented system saves lots of dollars,
> that the punters like the result and that they Look Good! (Completely
> different to a rollout fiasco, of course)
>
> Now we have to teach them that the voting system isn't broken, please
> don't try to fix it...

I entirely agree! As I have remarked before on this list, we seem to
have a very low-cost voting system that delivers results (usually)
within a couple of hours of the close of polls.

Absolutely the only argument I have ever heard in favour of any kind of
machine-based voting is support for the blind and otherwise disabled.
That is *not* a good reason to ditch democracy for the rest of the
country, so I respectfully suggest that we need to find a way to satisfy
their requirements while protecting the integrity of the electoral system.

E-Voting is a *toy*. You lose at most a few hours a year to attend a
polling place; convenience is both spurious and utterly childish ("waaa!
I don't wanna go to the polls I wanna go shopping!") - except for remote
communities which (a) don't have a decent broadband infratructure to
support the system and (b) the electoral commission takes the vote to
them, not the other way around - and I find it beyond belief that any
thinking human gives a single column inch to the idea without asking
"what does it fix?"

And yes, Lea, I also believe that the cynical drabs in various
parliaments have in mind "by spending money on e-voting we appear Look
Good".

RC